Educate Yourself First
Things you should know before you get started.  Stop by our Library for more information!
What is GID? (pdf)
Harry Benjamin Standards of Care (pdf)
Unlived lives (pdf)

Are You Starting Your Transition?
The transition sequence list below will help you understand the basic sequence of events to
help you get started and plan your transition. For a  PDF copy click link below.
Transition Sequence List (pdf)

How do I start transition?     This is a basic list of the steps of transition. And only a basic
guideline with many options. Your personal transition may vary.

MTF - male to female
FTM - female to male
GID - Gender Identity Disorder
HRT - Hormone Replacement therapy
SRS/GCS - Sex Reassignment Surgery/Gender Confirming Surgery
Transition - the process of changing physical gender identity role.

The Steps
1. Find a good support group, either on line, or a group that meets face to face. These are
the people who will help you through your transition!
2. If you are an MTF, find an electrologist and begin electrolysis. Preferably one
experienced with MTF hair removal issues, including hair removal for SRS/GCS.
3. If you are MTF and overweight, go on a weight loss diet NOW! Your body will not be
able to loose that weight as easily after you start hormones! You can get a trainer to help
lean out muscle mass. If money is an issue read up on cross training techniques that lean
muscle mass and burn fat.
4. Seek a therapist, with experience treating transsexuals and start therapy. Your therapist
may want to schedule you for special testing for Gender Identity Disorder for a proper
diagnosis. It usually takes 3 months of therapy or more to get a letter from your therapist to
start HRT. You may have to interview several therapists before you find one you can work
well with. Refer to this article on the web:
5. Seek out a doctor willing to work with you towards transition and start HRT as soon as
you have your letter.
6. Start getting advise from genetic women or man, or your support group about clothing,
hair, makeup, etc... Start working on your female or male look. MTF's start working on
you feminine voice. Learn the vocabulary of the desired gender.
7. Go out in public as often as you can. Go with someone, do not go alone! Avoid isolated
places, especially after dark! This will take courage and build your confidence. It is highly
recommended that you have a letter from your therapist stating you are in therapy for GID,
before you go into a restroom.
8. Watch and imitate mannerisms of other women or men. Learn the fundamental difference
in the male and female anatomy and how it affects the way you walk and carry yourself.
9. Be aware that you will have to deal with what others think of you and your transition.
You will need your therapist and support group at this point. Never let anyone dictate the
direction of your life. Be true to yourself!
10. When you are ready to go full time as your true self, start your name change. Get a
name change form from DMV, it is DL328. Take it to your doctor and have it filled out
COMPLETELY! Take it to DMV and get your new license. There is a small fee. Then go
to social security and get your new SS card. Make appointments for your visits, it will save
11. Begin contacting all companies you deal with and inform them of your name change and
gender change.
12. You will have to open a new checking and savings account.
13. Get a new credit card in your new name separate from any you might have with a
14. If you are employed, you should speak to personnel about your transition. Try to get
management on your side. Be well informed of how to transition at work before your
meeting. Know your rights, but be flexible. Get advise each step of the way.
15. Research surgeries and begin saving for the surgeries you feel will make you whole. It is
usually better to wait a few years for hormones to take their effect before getting surgery.
You may find you don’t need as much surgery as you though t if you wait and see how your
body changes.
a.) For MTF, usually facial feminization and/or breast Augmentation are the first surgeries of
    But if money is an issue you may choose to save for SRS/GCS instead.
b.) For FTM, usually breast reduction is the first surgery. FTM’s often elect not to have
SRS/GCS  because of
    the quality of the procedures available at this time.
16. Sex reassignment surgery is usually the last event in transition. The average time till
surgery is about 2 to 3 years or more into transition.
17. After SRS/GCS get your name and gender change through the court. Don’t forget to
apply for your birth certificate. FTM’s don’t need genital surgery to get their name and
gender changed through the court or to get their birth certificate.
18. Continue with therapy for up to 6 months after SRS.
19. Depression is a common problem after transition due to the realization of the limits of
transition on what you see in the mirror.
20. My personal advise and a good rule of thumb. Do not focus your attention on what
didn’t change to your liking, rather focus on what you DO have. Realize, that your body is
not “who” you are. It is only an accessory of who is wearing it! “Be” who you are inside,
don’t “be” your body.

Try this simple Diary, it will help you keep on course. We have one for the Gal's and Guy's.
Girls Transition Diary (pdf)
Guys Transition Planner. (pdf)

Do You Need To Find A Doctor?
(For a list of local resources, check out our Resource page)
If you have health insurance, start with your local list of providers.  
If you have no health insurance and can't get any through work or on your own, then
contact your County Medical Center, Hospital or local County Clinic for information on
how to get on County insurance.  If you have little or no income, you can get health care for
free.  If you have some income, they may have you pay something based on your income.  

You can get general psychological therapy through the county as well.  

San Bernardino County Behaviour Health Dept
SBCBHD - home page
To find a clinic near you
htm  (download PDF)
Riverside County Department of Mental Health
RC Department of Mental Health home page -
Clinic locations -

Questions To Ask When You Call A New Doctor
Do they serve other transsexual/transgendered patients?  
Would they be willing to treat transsexual/transgendered patients.  If the say they don't
know anything about treating transsexual/transgendered, ask them if they would like to
learn.  Then tell them that you can supply them with information about treating
transsexual/transgendered people.  (That info you can print from this site, see below)

What To Do If You Have Your Hormone Letter From Your Therapist
And Your Doctor Won't Put You on Hormones.
If you have your therapists letter stating that you can start hormone therapy and your
Doctor won't put you on hormones, then you will have to see a Doctor who specializes in
hormone therapy for Transsexual/Transgendered people.  You will have to pay for this visit
out of your pocket (unless the specialist takes your Insurance).  Once the specialist starts
you on hormones, your primary care physician can and will support the care and your
insurance will cover your hormone prescriptions from then on out.  You may need to go
back to the specialist a few times a year, for monitoring.  Especially if you are having
problems with your hormone therapy.  Be sure to have your Specialist send a copy of all
medical notes and tests to your primary if he needs them.

Do You Need to Educate Your Doctor?  
Print out a copy of the pdf's below and to take to your health care provider.
For more info, see "Our Library" on this site.

Protocols for Hormonal Reassignment of Gender (pdf)

Health Care Providers:
Basic Tips for Health Care (pdf)
For Nurses:
Competent Care of Transgendered (pdf)
For Doctors:
Protocols for Hormonal Reassignment of (pdf)
Medical Therapy and Health Maintenance for Transgendered Men (pdf)

Are You Ready to Start Hormones And Need a Therapist Letter?
Take the example letter below to your therapist as an example for what they need to write
for you to start hormones.
Example Therapist Letter for Hormones (pdf)

Are You Ready to Start Your Real Life Trial?
Print out the form below and take it to your doctor.  He/She needs to fill it out
COMPLETELY.  Then take it to DMV and apply for a new drivers license in your new

DL 328 (pdf)

Are You Ready for Your Court Name and Gender Change?
Are You Ready to Apply for Your New Birth Certificate?
Please see our Legal or Library pages.

Need Help With Your Personal Presentation?
Please see our How-To page for helps and links.